I recently hung a letter holder in the “mudroom” space just off of my garage door entry. I started using the bottom holder space of it to hold my sunglasses so they weren’t sitting on the counter or up in my bedroom closet.
Recently I got a frame (for free) that would fit right next to my letter holder and I thought I could fix it up to be my new sunglass holder that was actually meant to hold sunglasses.
Here’s what I started with.
Here you will see the cardboard backing from the frame along with the batting I purchased for this project from JoAnn Fabrics. I think I paid around $5 for the batting after my coupon and I still have tons left over for future projects.
While I was at JoAnn’s I noticed there was a 50% off of all reminants sign for fabrics. I bought these three gems that I figured I would use one for this project and perhaps cover the backs of some of my gallery wall frames that don’t have pictures yet for some interest. I think for all three patterns I bought I paid around $10 or $12.
I used my hot glue gun to attach the batting to the cardboard backing, making sure to pull it as tight as possible and working in sections. You want to make sure you buy a super thin batting so that your cardboard will still fit into your frame after you add all of your materials. If it becomes too bulky it won’t sit nicely in your frame. After I put the batting on I used more hot glue to attach my fabric over it. Make sure if you’re using a patterned fabric that you flip it over before gluing to make sure it’s not crooked or off center. When you finish gluing a layer trim off he excess fabric before adding the next.
Once my fabric was on and looking beautiful I took some ribbon from my craft room stash to make the “holder” part of the project. I already had it on hand so it didn’t cost me anything for this project, but I originally bought it at the dollar store. I cut it into strips and layed them across the front of the fabric making sure they all lined up properly. I didn’t measure or anything. I just eyeballed what I thought looked evenly spaced. Once they were loosely laid on top of my fabric I just used normal tape to temporarily hold it in place while I flipped the piece over so I could hot glue the ends of the ribbon to the back of the cardboard. Here’s what the back looked like when I was done.
Obviously it doesn’t need to be pretty because it’s going to be sitting up against a wall but if it seriously bothers you just cover it with leftover fabric or scrapbook paper. Here’s what the front looked like.
I also spray painted the wood frame with some Ace brand black, gloss spray paint that I had on hand. Once it was completely dry I was able to put it all together and here’s what I got 🙂 I had to put my pretty roses in the picture because they’re GORGE.
Here it is hung on the wall next to my mail holder. Disregard the ugly builder paint on the walls. That will be changed SOOOOOON. I plan to make the wall to the right of this a “command center” with a cork board and our calendar and whatnot with a little dresser underneath that I can set my purse or bags on when I walk in the door.
I love how it turned out. If you’re wondering the mail holder was about $8 from TJ Maxx and I bought it a few years ago. It was bamboo and I sprayed it gloss black as well when I bought it. I still need to buy a cork board and I’m debating if I should buy a cheap ugly one and cover it with the leftover fabric from this project or find a more stylish one with a fancy black frame and leave the cork untouched. Let me know your thoughts as I still need to buy one. Thanks for reading!